Monday, October 16, 2017

articles - Why "a user" instead of "an user"?



I am getting confused while using an article an. Because an is used while referring to vowels (a,e,i,o,u).



But today I read an article where for user they used a user.


My question is, why was an not used?


Could someone explain this with an example?



Answer



The choice of a or an is made based on pronunciation, not spelling. The only reason the word an exists is because a followed by another vowel is awkward to pronounce.


Since user is pronounced /ˈjuːzə/, starting with a consonant "y" sound, the article a is appropriate, and an is not.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...