Thursday, October 5, 2017

Using just Past Simple in the Third conditional



Genderson: I told you not to take the turnpike.



KRAMER: I thought we would blend in.


Genderson: If we took the Palisades, this never would've happened.


KRAMER: Then we would've had all that bridge traffic.


Genderson: Ah, just drive.



I don't like took in the conditional sentence. Instead of took it should be had taken. What is it: a different grammar structure or just a colloquialism?



Answer



It's as StoneyB and relaxing said in their comments. Michael Swan's Practical English Usage also mentions this "past simple instead of a past perfect". Here is the relevant section.



262 if (7): other structures found in spoken English

4 mixed tenses

Sometimes a simple past tense is used with if where a past perfect would be normal. This is more common in American English.
    If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a cake.
    If I had the money with me I would have bought you one.
    If I didn't have my walking boots on I think I would have really hurt my foot.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...