Tuesday, January 2, 2018

phrase meaning - Does "good to see you" end a conversation?


I talked to a native English speaker today, and after a while, she abruptly said "good to see you" or something like this and went away. Does "good to see you" mean, instead of "good to see me", that she did not want to continue the conversation?



Answer




I've said this before. It's a polite way to end a conversation, whether it ends a conversation abruptly or not. As someone else just wrote, it means "It was nice to see you! But I need to get going." She just left off the last part, since that's kind of implied (if that's the right way to describe it) by her saying this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...