Sunday, January 21, 2018

Can we use some modals interchangeably?



What's the difference among the following sentences?



It might rain tomorrow
It would rain tomorrow
It feels like rain tomorrow
It could rain tomorrow
It will rain tomorrow



Secondly, can we can use will and would interchangeably to indicate the future? For example,




I would study tomorrow
I will study tomorrow



Do both of them convey same meaning or is there any difference?



Answer



There are some contexts where more than one modal is possible, with identical or very similar meaning; but in general, no they are not interchangeable.


To take your examples:



It might rain tomorrow.




and



It could rain tomorrow.



mean the same.



It would rain tomorrow.



is meaningless unless there is some particular context which makes it possible (for example, a conditional protasis such as "If I decided to spend today visiting friend and not gardening, then ... ")




It feels like rain tomorrow.



This, to me expresses a greater likelihood of rain than the first two.



It will rain tomorrow.



This expresses certainty.


Similarly with your other pair,




I would study tomorrow.



would not be said unless there is some special context, most often a condition (eg "If I didn't have to go to work")



I will study tomorrow.



is a normal expression of intention.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...