Sunday, January 7, 2018

the sentence "Does king Gorge go there every day" should have an article?


If I want to ask about a custom of someone and I mentions is name, do I need to add an article?


For example:



"Does (the?) king Gorge go there every day"





Answer



Names in English don't get articles (as I think you know) but nouns like "king" do, which is probably the source of your confusion. But in this case, "king" is his title, so the entire thing, King George, functions like a name, so we don't use an article. For example,



I saw Lady Edna
I gave it to Farmer Tom
Captain Kelly invited us



Also, we usually capitalize titles like King when they are used directly together with someone's name (just like we capitalize the name itself).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...