Sunday, January 28, 2018

Is there a word in English meaning "see something incorrectly"?



For example, I saw someone just now. I thought he was Jack, but turned out he was not. Or, I saw something and recognized it as something else incorrectly. Is there a word for such situations?


I know if I read something wrongly, I could say "I misread it". and if I hear something wrongly, I could say "I misheard it". But I cannot find the word "missee" in any dictionaries. Is there something else people use?



Answer



Here are my possible answers,



I'm sorry. I thought you were someone/somebody else.
I'm sorry. I mistook you for someone/somebody else.
I'm sorry. I've mistaken you for someone/somebody else.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...