Saturday, January 27, 2018

sentence construction - Could you help me finding some less colloquial equivalent to highlighted phrases of this speech



Today I want to be able to give you some good tips on parallel parking. It's part of your road test. It's something you need to learn. For most new drivers it's real difficult, because they're not able to judge angles. And parallel parking is all about angles. I'll take you through a typical parking, I'll take you through how I teach it , and maybe that'll help you in passing your road test. The first thing you want to do is you want to pull over over and you want to stop alongside a parked car. Typically, an inspector will give you a command to pull over, stop next to the red or blue car. You're just going to pull over, put your blinker on to the right, and pull over even with that car.





  • taken from a series of videos teaching driving





    1. Why did the man use be able in his speech? What is the difference between be able and I would like to or I want ? I mean what the listener should make of I want to be able to give you ... . Why did not he say I want to give you... ?




    2. When he says I'll take you through a typical parking , I get the meaning of take one through ,It means I am going to teach you , isn't it? But my real concern is what the second I'll take you through means, while saying I'll take you through how I teach it . Perhaps it doesn't mean I will teach you that how I teach it ! , does it?




    3. The man always says the first thing you want to do . Why does not he say the first thing you should do , the first thing you need to do ? What are the diffrences in meaning? Isn't it unnatural saying you want to do ?




    4. In the last sentence he says You're just going to pull over, is the use of going to just weakening would and will? I think here it means something else. I think it means you just want to or you just start









No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...