Friday, January 19, 2018

A phrase for "ashamed"


Is there a figurative phrase for "ashamed" to mean to bend your head downward or look down, as you can't look at others?


In Persian we say سر افکنده which almost means Head Down, or Head fallen



Answer



There's a similar expression in english - to hang your head (in shame). It has very much the same meaning as the expressions you mention.



Hang one's head: let one's head fall forward (e.g., when ashamed)



For example:






  • When I was caught cheating in the exam, I hung my head in shame.




  • Athletes caught taking drugs should hang their heads in shame.




  • The defendant hung his head in shame.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...