Thursday, January 18, 2018

prepositions - "than I" vs. "than me"





  1. Between you and me Suhani is intelligent.




  2. Neither he nor his brother can walk faster than me.





  3. Whom did you mean to hurt by your unkind remarks except Sita and me?




In these sentence book uses me (objective form of I). But I find one more sentence from book which uses I(not me).



  1. Your husband doesn't believe that you are older than I.


In sentence 2 after preposition than it uses me while in sentence 4 its uses I after than. why? I think there should be I(instead of me) in sentence 3 and me(instead of I) in sentence 4. But i know I am wrong. I am confused with use of me and I. So please help me to understand this.



Answer



While all the other answers seem to focus on why it's than I or than me, I don't think this helps most people in everyday life such as in a conversation—they seem a little difficult to be used on the fly.



In a sentence, some words are often omitted, and the trick is not to do that. Just make the sentence as long as possible, and you'll see it's actually quite easy:




Than I / he / she:



He is better than I (am).


She is taller than he (is).


He knows more than she (knows).



Note: this may sound a little formal to some.





Than me / him / her:



She'd rather choose her than (she'll choose) me.


I like her more than (I like) him.


I'm more likely to give him a reward, than (I'll give it to) her.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...