Friday, December 1, 2017

word usage - "grey" vs "gray" are both common equally in use?


Yesterday I wrote "gray" in the meaning of the color, but my friend corrected me and told me to write "grey". Today I checked in the dictionary and I found that they are both correct for the same meaning. So, now I just have doubt which one of them is more common in use.



Answer



You're right, they are both correct. Which one is better depends on who you ask. In the USA, it's spelled "gray" and in the UK, it's spelled "grey". A fun mnemonic for this is A for America, E for England. Plenty of other words do this also. Color/colour, fiber/fibre, liter/litre, etc.


The population of the USA is higher so gray is technically more common. Use the one that matches the country you're in and the people you're writing for.


If you're in neither country, it doesn't really matter which one you use. Pick one you like and stick with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...