Wednesday, December 6, 2017

articles - When do I have to put 'a' before 'one' as a pronoun?


I wonder if there is a rule on that score. Judging from the examples below, it just looks as if you don't put a when one goes alone, and you have to use it when one goes with an adjective. Am I wrong?



We've run out of clean towels. - It's ok, I have a spare one.


I was looking for a clean towel but couldn't find one.


What towel would you like? - Just an ordinary one, I don't really care.


Can I have a towel? - Go to the bathroom and take one.


Did you buy me a towel? - Yes, a big yellow one.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...