Sunday, March 13, 2016

word usage - What is the difference between "job" and "job opportunity"?


Currently, I am looking for a job. Or am I looking for a job opportunity? Or is the hiring company having a job opportunity for people like me?



Can I use "I am looking for a job/job opportunity" interchangeably, or is there a difference?



Answer



You are looking for a job.


I don't think you would be satisfied with just a "job opportunity". If you were offered a "job opportunity", you would want to follow through until you either got the job, or did not get the job.


Similarly, a child who wants to pet a cat does not want a "Schrödinger's cat", because Shrödinger's cat has a 50% chance of being dead when the child tries to pet it. The child wants a real, live "cat".


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...