Tuesday, March 29, 2016

conjunctions - "I have no question"--> "Me, too" or "Me, either"?



Ok, at the end of an English class, the teacher says "Do you have any questions?"



Student A: I have no question


Student B: Me, too / Me, either



So, the Student B should say "Me, too" or "Me, either"?



I know that "Me, either" is American English: "Me, either" is American English: Dictionary Link.


EDIT (after comments): So, we can't use "Me, too" in this case?


Note: my question is unique. I know the rule of using "Me, too" or "Me, either". "Me, too" for positive sentence & "Me, either" for negative sentence.



Ex: I have a question. Me, too


Ex2: I don't have a question. Me, either.



So if we say "I have no question" then which one we should use "Me, too" or "Me, either"?



Answer



This is very tricky, and I think this question deserves its own answer.



The best way for Student B to chime in really depends on how Student A answers the initial question:





  • Student A: I have no question.
    Student B: Me, neither.




  • Student A: I don't have any questions.
    Student B: Me, either.





  • Student A: No questions from me!
    Student B: Me, either.




  • Student A: I have some questions.
    Student B: Me, too.






I'm having a hard time trying to figure out when it's better to use Me, either or Me, neither.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...