Saturday, March 26, 2016

present perfect - When to use "verb + ed" not for the past but for the future?


I get always confused with the possibility to use verb + ed for the future. The text I'm writing brings the same problem and I'm not sure if I do a mistake if I write:



"Once we receive and review it, we will confirm your order by e-mail."




rather than



"Once we received and reviewed it, we will confirm your order by e-mail."



Which one is correct - can anyone please explain me the rule of how to use verb+ed in this case?



Answer



Your first version is acceptable, but the second is not.


I think what may be confusing you is the fact that regular verbs in English use the -ed form for two different entities:





  • The simple past tense ...



    We received your order yesterday.





  • The past participle, which is used with the auxiliary have in perfect constructions:



    We have received your order and will ship today.






In the sentence you are trying to write, the subordinate clause beginning once is related to the main clause we will confirm..., but it is not expressed with a future construction because it is an event which much occur before the action of the main clause. Consequently you may use either the simple present tense, as in your first example, or a present perfect construction:



Once we have received and reviewed it, we will confirm your order by e-mail.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...