Monday, July 13, 2015

time words - Confusion regarding the meanings of "till" and "until"


Till means upto a certain time limit and until means "till not".


Example 1:



I can not go till I finish my homework.



Example 2:



I can not go until I finish my homework.




I cannot differentiate between these two and both seems to me having correct meaning. But as until is "till not". This "not" should have an effect which I am missing. Please help me clearing the confusion.



Answer



Till and Until mean the same thing, till however is the informal version, until is deemed formal. Your definition should read "not till", not "till not".


"You cannot leave until you finish your homework" or "you cannot leave till you finish your homework", both mean the same thing.


Until would generally be used at the beginning of a sentence e.g. Until you finish your homework, you cannot leave.


It is commonly assumed that till is an abbreviated form of until, till is in fact the earlier form. Apparently formed by the addition of Old Norse "und ‘as far as’ several hundred years after the date of the first records for till.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...