Tuesday, July 14, 2015

xna - Background blur in 2D game?


In an XNA 2D game, I am thinking about blurring the background slightly to increase the feeling of depth? I am already using parallax scrolling which works pretty well in terms of enhancing depth perception. However, some newer games e.g. Super Mario Bros. 2 on the Nintento 3DS additionally use a blurred background.


Admittedly, this is a pretty extreme example:


SMB2 on 3DS example http://www.zavvi.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/MARIO2-580x347.jpg


For me, the blurring visually is not very pleasing but nevertheless somewhat enhances the feeling of depth. I was wondering if there are any studies or personal experiences out there on the subject?


At the moment, the blurring is created by a HLSL pixel-shader (or GLSL though Mojoshader with MonoGame) which is parameterized by the velocity of movement (the faster the more blurred).




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...