Tuesday, July 28, 2015

word meaning - Having, holding, giving, and throwing parties


What is the difference between "hold a party", "have a party", "give a party" and "throw a party"?



Is there any difference in meaning? Can we use them interchangeably?


Could you provide some examples (if any exist) where we can't replace one by another?



Answer



I think they're all pretty much interchangeable. As I tried to think of an exception, I wondered if throw would be a bit more appropriate for a wild party, and less appropriate for a less festive occasion. However, I found plenty of instances of "throw an office party" on Google, enough to convince me that throw doesn't necessarily imply "wild and crazy."


One additional verb you could use is "host": We are going to host a party on the 11th.


For what it's worth, here's an Ngram, but there's nothing too remarkable there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...