Friday, July 17, 2015

sentence construction - Different usage of "that"



In my native language, Persian, we do much use "Ke" which almost corresponds to "which, who, that" in relative clauses and many other cases (maybe in conversations to start or continue a narration or relate somethings ..., I myself don't know why or where)


Then, I would like to know how much it corresponds with "that" in English and if the sentences bellow with "that" are grammatical or sensible in a conversation or not?


Ummm.... (just literal translations)



1) The students who were absent, that I prefer not to mention their names, should do this practice...



2) We were walking, that suddenly a car stopped in front of us...


3) that you said I can't catch you, OK, now you see I did that... (conversation and not usual)


4) I was reading a book that he came


5) People who (that) can't accept it, that by accident are from your country, that off course are respectable, should know ....


6) I was so happy that I started to cry.


7) However, there could be other examples that I can't think of now.



If they are not grammatical, and if you yet understand them, what would be the correct sentence for each?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...