Friday, July 17, 2015

phrases - Somewhere, or sometime, down the road?


If you're talking about doing something in the future, do you say "somewhere down the road", or "sometime down the road"?



Answer



Interesting question! My first instinct is that both make sense, in different senses. "somewhere down the road" means to me something like "at some point along this metaphorical road that is the future." I think that's the way I would say it. But "some time down the road" makes sense too; I wouldn't be confused if I heard it. But my gut tells me it's less common.


This ngram seems to support that conclusion:


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...