Saturday, July 25, 2015

meaning - Can "dress" mean "skirt"?


I've encountered a person learning English using "dress" for a piece of clothing that covers the top half of her body (and possibly her legs as well).


I was under the impression that "dress" used to mean clothing in general, but nowadays is more commonly used to mean "skirt".


However, I looked up Wiktionary and Cambridge Dictionaries Online, and both of them indicate it means a piece of clothing that covers the top half of the body and hangs down over the legs.


I'm not an expert on women's apparel. Was I mistaken in thinking that "dress" could be used for a synonym for "skirt"?



Answer



Dress can mean garb in the general sense.


But it can also mean a specific type of women's clothing. I used to think that dresses and skirts were all the same, but my wife has finally straightened me out.


A dress is a single piece of clothing that covers the upper and lower parts of the body:



red dress


whereas a skirt only covers from the waist down:


grey skirt


But some people (like me) don't understand the difference and tend to use the terms incorrectly – most people are very forgiving about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...