Thursday, July 23, 2015

phrase meaning - What does "I have got some time on my hands" mean?




My shift at work's kinda long, so I've got some time on my hands to, you know...whatever. Think, I guess.



What does "I have got some time on my hands" mean in the above quote?



Answer





  1. Having time on your hands usually implies you're bored - and actually looking for something to do, because you don't want to simply sit around doing nothing.





  2. To have time in hand usually implies you did have something to do, but you've completed it early. Maybe you'll just kick back, relax, and do nothing - or maybe you'll start tackling another task.




It should be clear from the above that sense #1 usually describes an unsatisfactory state of affairs (you need something to do), whereas #2 applies to a desirable state (you're available to do something extra).




By extension from sense #1 you'll often come across variants of...



Time weighed on his hands (he was bored, having nothing to do).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...