Thursday, July 23, 2015

grammaticality - Should I use "important" or "importantly" in the introductory phase of a sentence?


Should I use important or importantly in the introductory clause of the second sentence:



Appellant's argument is premature. More important, it lacks merit.



Google NGram shows a significant preference for "more important." Recently, however, it appears the democracy of usage has swung slightly in favor of "more importantly."


I prefer the former, but I am more concerned about learning which one is grammatically proper, and the particular rules that control the analysis. Can someone walk me through it?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...