Saturday, November 9, 2019

tense - Should I be using 'is' or 'was' in reported speech?


Which is correct?




  1. She was told that it was against the law to steal.




Or




  1. She was told that it is against the law to steal.





Background information: The original context is that I was relating an incident via email, where my colleague told a customer that some of our actions were part of the organisation's policy. The policy is still valid, but the statement I used to relate the incident in my email went like this:



  • "Mr Jay was informed that it was our policy to do this."



And I received feedback that it should go like this instead:



  • "Mr Jay was informed that it is our policy to do this."




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...