Friday, November 22, 2019

hendiadys - "Try and" versus "Try to"?





Try and hit me!


Try to hit me!



Do the above example mean exactly the same and it's just a matter of preference to use which word?



He tried to make it better.


He tried and made it better.




The second example sounds strange when it comes to more formal sentence of that sort. Is it still a correct use of the phase?



Answer



The idiom "Try and X" is a bold command or challenge. This is colloquial, very informal, and does not sound professional. It can sound child-like or naive.


"Try and hit me!" is an idiomatic expression that means "Try to hit me!" or perhaps more accurately, "I dare you to try to hit me. You cannot!" It can be said playfully or antagonistically.


He tried to make it better. This means that he attempted (tried; put forth effort) to make it better. It doesn't indicate whether or not his attempt succeeded.


He tried and made it better. This is a standard conjunction. It means that he attempted (tried; put forth effort), and did in fact make it better. Note that this is not the "try and" idiom; it is not a command.


I will try and make it better. This is an awkward form. It's not the typical idiomatic "challenge" command form. It would surely be understood as I will to make it better. but it sounds a bit "off".


I will try to make it better. This sounds natural, sincere, and professional.


An overbearing boss might say, "I need you to rework this. But this time, try and get it right, ok?" Note the idiomatic use of the command/challenge form. It's a condescending tone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...