Friday, November 8, 2019

modal verbs - Using "will" vs "be going to"



It is a very confusing concept, when to use "will" or "be going to". Both of them refer to the future but there is a slight difference. One of the differences that I have found and I was confused about is that:



We use be going to:


when there are definite signs that something is going to happen (we are sure, we feel it must happen).



Example: "I think it is going to rain. I just felt a drop."




We use will:


when we think or believe something about the future.



Example: "I think it will rain later so take an umbrella with you."


But when we use "be going to" in a sentence like this:



  • "Look at the clouds! It is going to rain."


why can't we use "will" since I don't think that in the last sentence we're sure, we are just making a prediction?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...