Saturday, November 30, 2019

meaning in context - Another way to say "We are not relations."


In the movie Forrest Gump, Lieutenant Dan was asking Gump and Bubba whether they are twin brothers, but Gump said:



"No....we are not relations, Sir."




Is it also correct to say if I say this?



We are not related to each other.



or does it have a different meaning?



Answer



"We are not relations" does sound a little strange to me. But it also comes off as possibly a Southern saying (American South). And it fits since Forrest Gump was raised in Greenbow, Alabama, a southern state.


Looking at the definition of relations




relations
a (1) : a person connected by consanguinity or affinity : relative (2) : a person legally entitled to a share of the property of an intestate
b : relationship by consanguinity or affinity : kinship



we see that "We are not relations" serves to mean that they are not family, not twins. So I don't believe it is a matter of correct or incorrect. It might be more appropriate or familiar to say if you are in certain regions.


Possible alternatives include



  1. We are not related.

  2. We are not relatives.



Including "we are not relations", they all mean "we are not family". I think I would've used 1. I think most people are familiar with these two.


Here is some ngram data on the matter. enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...