Monday, November 11, 2019

meaning - won't instead of using' wouldn't' is possible?



I had asked a question How to ask for someone's name and where they are from politely or indirectly? in which@Jay also answered.But He used "wouldn't" in the following sentences while answerimg my question:




  1. Here, you wouldn't say, "May I ask you what is your name?" Though we break this rule for questions sometimes

  2. Well, someone might say that in informal speech, but you wouldn't write it or use it in formal speech.

  3. "May I ask you what's your name?" is awkward; a fluent speaker wouldn't say that.


I had asked Use and meaning of "wouldn't" in "you wouldn't" and "a speaker wouldn't" question in ELL and I have also received answers for it. But there is one thing that I'm still confused about.


Do the meanings of the sentences above change if we use 'won't' instead of using 'wouldn't' ? can we use 'won't' in the place of 'wouldn't' without changing the meanings of the sentences above?


Note:This question is all about wouldn't vs won't or are they interchangeable or not)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...