Thursday, November 28, 2019

imperative sentences - Use of be+infinitive in different meanings


I know that be + infinitive is used for order, instruction and plan but some of the example sentences are confusing to me they are:






  1. I'm to go now. ( what's the meaning of this sentence ?)




  2. Mr johns was to speak at the meeting last monday. ( if this sentence is about past plan, was the plan fulfilled ? Or what's the meanings of this sentence ?)




  3. You are to be on time.(what kind of meaning this sentence implies?)





  4. Am I to believe what they say ? ( what kind of meaning this sentence conveys ?) Now, if the meaning of those sentences is similar to 'supposed to', why be+infini' is used instead of supposed to' ? Is 'supposed to' is the same as 'should' or what? I'm expecting understandable answer. Thank you in advance.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...