Tuesday, November 5, 2019

tense - Perfect vs past simple when relating to personal experience


It seems to me that if somebody were to ask me:



Yeah, how do you know what war is like?



The most fitting response would be:



Because, you see, I have fought in a war.




But if someone would ask me why I am so sure about ominious experiments conducted by one company, I reckon my answer would go:



I know it, because I used to work for that company.



The past tense sounds better to me, as it seems that the perfect tense would imply that I still work for them. Or would it?


Now, why is that? Or perhaps you have some other point of view, and I should have used the perfect tense or the past tense in both instances?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...