Tuesday, November 19, 2019

camera - Creating my own kill cam


I plan on creating my own kill cam system for a sandbox tool set. After thinking about the mechanics of the kill cam itself, however, I'm quite lost. I'm trying to recreate the ones commonly seen in call of duty games that show, from the view of the killer, the actual killing scene.


My Thoughts:


-I can't just keep in memory when people kill others because I wouldn't know when to start the 'recording process'. There is on way for me to accurately determine when somebody is 'about' to kill someone.


-My only real idea so far is to have a complete duplicate of everything loaded off to the side copying all the movement from the original world but with a 10 second delay. That way, all the kill cams would be 10 seconds long and the persons camera would just be moved to the second world of their killer.



My Questions:


Is there already an accepted way to do this? Does anybody have any good ideas for something like this? Thanks if you can!



Answer



Store the last few seconds of movement data of relevant dynamic objects.


This data should be complete enough that it can be used to reconstruct a killcam scene if necessary, but incomplete enough that you can afford retrieving and storing at short enough intervals.


Examples of things you may want to track:



  • Which way a visible player is moving/looking

  • Whether killer is zoomed in on gun scope



Things you probably want to optimise out:



  • Data about players whom the killer cannot see

  • Anyone's actual screen output


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...