Sunday, October 28, 2018

conjunctions - Should I write "X and I", "X and me", "I and X", or "me and X" in a conjoined object?


A question was asked in one of my friend's interview. The question was to determine the right form from the below sentences.



Q. Correct form of English:



  1. Samuel was with Susan and I

  2. Samuel was with Susan and me

  3. Samuel was with I and Susan


  4. Samuel was with me and Susan

  5. None of these



Now I vaguely remember a rule of thumb from my school days. That is "2-3-1" i.e. where all the persons are acting in a sentence, second person comes first, then third person and it is followed by first person.


So according to this theory, 1 seems to be correct to me. Is this theory correct?



Answer



Your theory is correct. But that leaves us with 1) and 2).


Between I and me, we can decide like this: I corresponds to we and me corresponds to us. 'He was with us' and not 'He was with we.' So, 2) is the correct option.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...