Sunday, October 7, 2018

legal - Using modified copyrighted music in non-commercial games


Background: I'm making a retro style game for both fun, and an unofficial contest.



I have bought a song, song X. However, I then found notation for song X, and all the instruments. So basically, it's a program recreating song X in a sense.


I took the notation, and used another program to make it sound like a chiptune does (just for the fun of it, and it sounds good :P). However, I would like to use this in my game. It's non-commercial, but is this allowed? I would've said yes, because I'm not actually using the original, copyrighted song.


I think the main point is can I:



  • Use the music with no reference to the author

  • Use the music with a reference, since it's non-profit.

  • Not use the music at all since the melody and rhythm is copyright.



Answer



You are using a derivative of the song, which falls under copyright. Also it doesn't matter whether you credit the original artist or not make a profit. It is still copyrighted.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...