Sunday, October 14, 2018

How to know whether to use 'that' in clauses like 'I don't want that you go to Ireland'?


For me, both next sentences are correct :




  • I don't want you to go to Ireland.

  • I don't want that you go to Ireland.


How do I know whether or not I should use "that" in a sentences like these?



Answer



Some verbs, can be followed by that clauses, some cannot.



  • I don't want you to go to Ireland.
    I don't want that you go to Ireland. (want is not used with a that clause.)



There's no easy way to decide if a verb is followed by a that clause or not. Mostly, you'll have to learn them as part of a phrase.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...