Thursday, October 4, 2018

meaning in context - How is "I saw him going toward that room." understood?



Imagine that the police is looking for witnesses to a killing, and they ask me if I saw a person. After I say I saw him, I am asked where I saw him and, being close the place where I saw him, I say "I saw him going toward that room."


How would the sentence be normally understood?



  • I saw him while I was going toward that room.

  • I saw him, and he was going toward that room.



Answer



Normally it would be understood as the second statement. When speaking to the police, a lawyer, or in a court of law, I would be very precise and to make it clear that he was the one going toward the room, it is safer that say anyone of these:



When I saw him, he was going toward that room.





He was going toward that room when I saw him.




I saw him as he was going toward that room.



If you were the one going toward the room use you first statement. You could also use "As I was going toward that room, I saw him."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...