Tuesday, October 9, 2018

prepositions - Is it appropriate to use "in" always to denote inside a vehicle?



Normally when someone is inside a vehicle it is written as


He is in the car
I am in the bus

But can I use the same word when it is related with a bike or bicycle are below sentences are correct ?


I am in the bicycle
He is in a bike

What is the correct way to express above two sentences ?



Answer




Not unless the bicycle or bike has a ceiling. This is because you use in with vehicles, such as a car or bus, that have a ceiling, so it can be said you are inside the car or inside the bus.


For a normal bicycle or bike, you sit on the seat, or you sit on the bicycle or bike.


For a long explanation of the uses of in, on and at, see my answer. It is detailed, but it has examples for vehicles. For instance, if you are a bus passenger, you would probably say you are on the bus. But I don't want to repeat here what I already typed in the answer I just linked to.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...