Sunday, October 7, 2018

A question about how native speakers learn prepositions


There are several prepositions which can be placed after an adjective. So I wonder which one should be chosen. Are they the same, or are there some nuances among them? Given a single sentence without context, how can a native speaker understand the sentence correctly? I want to know the process of understanding the different usages.


For example,



disappointed adj ~ (about/at sth); ~ (in/with sb/sth);sad or dissatisfied because sb has failed, some desired event has not happened, etc




  • be disappointed about/at sb's failure

  • I was disappointed with his performance.

  • I'm disappointed in you: I expected you to win.



As you can see, after the adjective "disappointed", you can use different prepositions,like "about" "at" "with" "in". Are they the same? Which element can decide the usage of preposition?


How do the native speakers learn the preposition at the beginning?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...