Friday, December 1, 2017

vocabulary - What do you call this thing? "bag"?


I always need this when I buy stuff from the market. So, I need to know the real name for it. I always call it "bag" but it seems that it is not the correct name.


enter image description here



Answer



In my experience, which is all I can answer from, in American English, 99% of the time the white plastic object is called a bag.


Specifically, it is a plastic bag.


We also have paper bags. And canvas bags.


When you start talking about "bags" made out of thicker material, traditionally woven from cotton or something, you can then use the word sack.


You can use sack to refer to a paper bag, but it is rare to refer to a plastic bag as a plastic sack, in the USA, using American English, at least in the dialect I speak.



So, in short, yes, bag is the most common term to call the white plastic object.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...