Wednesday, April 5, 2017

graphics - How can I make a good-looking explosion particle effect?


I'm not much of an artist, but I'm trying to make decent particle effects in a 2.5D game. I'm making a replica of Wii Play's "Tanks" and I can't quite get the explosions to look good. I'm not going for the exact style as they had, probably something more realistic, less childish.



My particle engine just draws a 2d texture on the screen, and supports, per particle: starting position, velocity, gravity (or any acceleration), air resistance (drag), color including alpha, starting size, size expansion rate, lifetime, and fade out rate.


In my tank explosions, I'm drawing around 100 particles, and I've been tweaking parameters for days trying to get things looking good. So I'm wondering, what are some tips for getting good results? What's most important, specifically for explosions?



  • Having good quality textures?

  • Having a variety of textures?

  • The right colors?

  • Realistic movement of the particles?

  • Having lots and lots of particles, many more than 100?


Check out this image. I tried to replicate it by making particles that shoot out and create more particles in their wake. But mine still isn't anything like that.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...