Saturday, April 8, 2017

to infinitive - "help robot population (to) adapt" -- can I omit "to"?


Actually I should be working on my bachelor report (it's due tonight), but hey, there are more important things like: Can I omit the to in the following sentence?




... foster behaviour that would help the robot population (to) adapt to the MONEE environment.




Answer



When using the verb "help," you can use either a to-infinitive or a bare infinitive without affecting the meaning or the grammaticality of the sentence. The bare infinitive version is more common especially in American English.



"[...]the better practice is to use a bare infinitive after help (if the choice is between a fully expressed infinitive [with to] and a bare one [without to]) [...]


"The bare infinitive form after help overtook the to-form in the late 1960s and remains more than twice as common with various verbs."


Garner (2016), Garner's Modern English Usage. Oxford University Press.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...