Friday, April 7, 2017

word usage - What is the difference between “Keep on” and “keep as it is”?


Does “Keep on” and “keep as it is” have same meaning? When and where we can use these?


For example: I have to tell my friend to keep a thing as in the same way



I think it is better to keep as it is.



Is my usage correct?




Answer



Keep on is a phrasal verb taking a gerund clause as its complement; it means “continue [a course of action]”. It is an intensive version of plain keep in this sense.



Bob kept on interrupting me, so I couldn't finish. ... Bob continued to interrupt me
Laura kept on writing until the chapter was done. ... Laura continued to write



It often has the sense of “persevere”, as in the 60s-70s catchphrase



Keep on keeping on. ... Don't give up the struggle to achieve/survive




Keep ... as it is is not a fixed phrase but the transitive verb keep, meaning “maintain [something] [in a specified condition]” combined with the phrase as it is serving as the second complement with the meaning “in its present condition”.



Ryan wanted to change the second sentence, but we decided to keep it as it was.
Let's keep the schedule as it is for now. We can update it when we know more.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...