Wednesday, April 26, 2017

What tools/software are used to make the environments/levels/maps in games?



This question has probably been answered before but I've not been able to find the answer, since I'm not able to frame the question with brevity.


So the whole question is :- The worlds/levels that you see in games like Crysis, Assassin's Creed, etc, what do the designers and developers use to create them? Do they use the tools present inside the engine (whether proprietary or in-house) or a separate software that exports these worlds as an importable object for the game engine to use to load models into it, etc?



I know this is a very general question but I have been curious regarding this for some time. I have used Unity in the past and it had a terrain toolkit that could be used to make the terrain, and I'm pretty sure it had completely to do with my lack of skill but I wasn't even close to making an environment that looked like the ones you see these days.



Answer



Typically, in both triple-A and indie games, the developers will develop a set of tools for map and level for their game themselves. Take The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim as an example, the creation kit is basically a level editor as with it you're able to edit the world of Skyrim. When the develops made the world and levels of Skyrim that would have used a slightly different version of the creation kit (since I think they altered it for public release). Skyrim Creation Kit


A lot of games nowadays are developed using the Unreal Game Engine (both indie and triple-A), which has its own editor http://www.unrealengine.com/features/editor/


And since you mentioned Crysis. Crytek have developed their own engine and development kit called the CryENGINE, which they obviously used to build Crysis, you can read about it here: http://www.crytek.com/cryengine/cryengine3/overview


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...