Saturday, April 2, 2016

word choice - For these reasons vs for those reasons




Should I use "these" or "those" to refer to previously mentioned arguments? I can give some context:


Paragraph 2: Argument A


Paragraph 3: Argument B


Paragraph 4: Argument C


Paragraph 5: For th_se reasons I would like to apply to this scholarship, since.......



Answer



In your example, you probably should us "these", but both are acceptable.



  • For these reasons must be near to the reasons

  • For those reasons must be after the reasons.



Good:



  • "I'm poor. I'm sick. For these reasons, I'm not going to the party."

  • "I'm not going to the party for these reasons: I'm poor and I'm sick."

  • "Chapter 1 explained the history. Chapter 2 explained the current situation. Chapter 3 explained the consequences. For those reasons, we can't accept this policy change."

  • "Chapter 1 explained the history. Chapter 2 explained the current situation. Chapter 3 explained the consequences. For these reasons, we can't accept this policy change."


Bad:




  • "I'm not going to the party for those reasons: I'm poor and I'm sick."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...