Friday, April 29, 2016

word choice - I need a book which/that(?) is cheap enough, but in which/that(?) there are cute photos


On the one hand the clauses are restrictive, on the other hand, there is a preposition in the second case, So, it seems the correct version is "I need a book that is cheap enough, but in which there are cute photos", but this sounds awful.


So, what is the correct choice?



Answer



You are correct, the sentence is




I need a book that is cheap enough, but in which there are cute photos.



and you are also correct that it is verbose, the suggested alternative



I need a cheap book with cute pictures.
I need an affordable book with pictures.
I need an inexpensive book with pictures.



might be better.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...