Friday, April 29, 2016

architecture - noSQL - Is it a valid option for web based game?



Out of an opportunity and boredom, a friend and I decided to make a web based game. This is the first 'game' I will be making, since usually I program web apps in django.


I've opted to use the same framework for the game, but I am not totally sure about the data storage, since I cannot foresee future requirements and DB related issues. Lately, the noSQL movement is gaining force and I would like to explore that area.


Therefore I have the following questions:



  • Would a noSQL datastorage (document-based, such as MongoDB) would be suitable for a web-based game?

  • What are the issues that might arise using a conventional RDBMS, such as MySQL?


  • How to insurance data consistency amongst users with MongoDB, during gameplay or at timed events, such as cron jobs?


Game overview: Typical adventure game, with the player fighting monsters and gaining items and such.



  • Some data is static across all players: items, weapons, potion, maps, etc.

  • Some data tied to the player: inventory, metrics (stats), progress, etc.

  • A player might need to know the stats and state of another player

  • Scheduled tasks will be run at certain time interval




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...