Thursday, April 14, 2016

grammar - Use of each and every



Practically every part of the banana tree is used by man.




I think this sentence is correct but my grammar book say there should be each instead of every. I know we can't use every as a pronoun but in above sentence every part used as a single unit. Correct me if I am wrong.



Answer



True. But then, if we want to talk about the banana tree's part individually (though all), we use each and not every.


BBC clarifies it-



We tend to use each if we are thinking about members of a group individually, and every if we are thinking of them in total.



Compare the following:




We gave each child who came to the party a present. We handed them out one by one.
We gave every child who came to the party a present We gave them all a present.





Found the exact phrase from the book Hawaiian Heritage Plants where it says each part is usable one or the other way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...