Tuesday, April 12, 2016

What is the difference between OpenGL 1.x and 2.x?



Is there a good tutorial that shows the difference between OpenGL 1.* and 2.*?


It would be very helpful to know which functions I should not be calling (like glBegin(), I assume).



Answer



The OpenGL.org getting started page has an overview, with plenty of links to various tutorials.


In short, OpenGL 2.0 lives between the fixed function (1.x) and fully programmable (2.x+) world; you can still use everything OpenGL 1.x has, while adding shaders. Moving forward (3.x+), all sorts of old fixed function systems start to get deprecated though, so it may be better to have a clean start instead of mixing both worlds.


I'm also surprised this had not been asked before.. or at least I couldn't find it on a quick search.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...