Saturday, January 23, 2016

prepositions - at IKEA or in IKEA?


I'd like to use the phrase: "Let's buy it at IKEA!" I'm not sure if I should use "at" or "in" in that particular case. Maybe both work? Is there any difference between them?



Answer



English speakers say they are at the store. If they are inside the building, they may say they are in the store (but they are also at the store).


"At" is used for location, while "in" is (generally) used to indicate being inside something.



Examples:



Q: Where did you buy your desk?
A: At Macy's. It's sold in the furniture department, on the third floor.


Q: (on the phone) Where are you? I can't see you in the parking lot. Are you at the front of the store?
A: I'm in the store, over by the electronics section.


Q: (texting) Where are you?
A: I had to get out of the house, so I'm in the park. I'm going by the coffee shop, and will be at your house in an hour.



Unfortunately there are many idiomatic usages. For example, you may be in a meeting, at (or on) the computer, in deep contemplation, at a loss, and many others.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...