Wednesday, January 27, 2016

parsing - Parts of Speech of: come+ verbing



He came walking


He came waving both hands


He came yelling



And



They left crying




Do you parse walking, waving, yelling and crying as verbs? If not, what would you parse them as?


Edit: crying added



Answer



They are verbs, of course--present participles. Waving, for instance, takes a direct object, his hands. Syntactically they are (take a deep breath before you try to say this)



  • subject-oriented predicate adjectivals


That is: they play the role of adjectives in describing a noun; the noun they describe is the subject; and they occur in the predicate, among the dependents of the verb, rather than being included as attributive adjectives in the subject.


Exactly the same thing can be done with ordinary adjectives and adjectival past/passive participles.




He came home wounded.
He came home elated by the news.
He came home happy.
He came home naked.



None of these describes the quality of the movement: they describe the subject.


There are also object-oriented predicate adjectivals, which likewise may be ordinary adjectives or present or past participles (with or without dependents):



I drink my coffee black.
I drink my coffee steaming.

I drink my coffee loaded with whipped cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...