Saturday, January 30, 2016

Is there an alternative way to express "has them " other than "makes them "?


For example, in the following sentence, can I replace have them with makes them, or is there another verb that more correctly I could use instead of has?



Since the manufacturers are so deeply involved, in some cases Wal-Mart even has them handle their own distribution, saving the retailer big bucks and increasing profit margins on cheaper goods.



Another example could be the following one.




The doctor sends my father and Uncle Johnnie out for all the ice they can get. Then he has them dump the ice in the bathtub, add cold water almost to the top, whereupon my aunt is wrestled into the tub and submerged.




Answer



There are several constructions of the form



  • have NP VP (to not allowed)


One of them is a causative construction; as noted, there are other causatives as well. A causative always entails that an event happened or a state changed; but there are different ways to cause this, and different ways to talk about it.





  • make NP VP (to not allowed)
    I made him examine me means I forced him to do it.




  • get NP to VP (to required)
    I got him to examine me means I had to persuade him to do it.




  • caused NP to VP (to required)

    I caused him to examine me means only that he did it and I was responsible. It's very formal.




The causative have NP VP construction is quite common with a past participle clause



  • I had my tires replaced yesterday, while my car was in the shop.
    (basically a passive with indefinite subject, from I had them replace my tires)


There's another very different have NP VP construction - the subject is not the agent but the patient.




  • I had my tires slashed last night, while my car was parked outside.


This one is always passive and often (though not always) deals with a bad outcome



  • I had my dearest dreams crushed by their betrayal.

  • I had my wildest dreams fulfilled by their assistance.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...