Sunday, January 10, 2016

articles - When there are some words between 'a' and the corresponding noun, do I use 'an'?



Which sentence is correct?



I performed a reliability analysis.



or



I performed an reliability analysis.





Answer



Your first sentence is correct:



I performed a reliability analysis.



The choice between a and an has nothing to do with the noun. It is entirely dependent on the sound that comes after the indefinite article.



a whole hour.


a tropical island.



an honourable solider.



If the next word after the indefinite article starts with a consonant sound, the indefinite article needs to be a.


If the next word after the indefinite article starts with a vowel sound, the indefinite article needs to be an.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...